Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Mothers Story

My mother was left single with four small children at the age of twenty-eight. That is not the start of her story, but definitely the forging of who she is.

Ivy Josephine Hill was probably not so much rebellious as she was head-strong and eager to move into adulthood. I have seen the same with my children.

My Father, WalterAllen Kramer, was seven to eight years her senior. I understand he was considered quite the catch in the Pasadena (California) Ward. A recently-returned missionary, tall, good singer, piano player, and a great story teller.

I don’t have details of courtship or early marriage. I understand there were tough times. I remember warmth and welcome.

Whatever the situation, my mom was left alone when my father died. I can imagine now the impact it must have had on my mother. I have seen other single moms struggle with the finances, with the requirement of work and family. Most single moms I have dealt with have had only a child or two. My mother had 4, the youngest was 3 years old.

My mother had not really started her college education . She had dabbled and dreamed, but hadn’t taken any substantial coursework. She had no salable skills. I’m not certain how she found the jobs she did – receptionist, secretary, but I do recall and now know that her income was insufficient to maintain the home. I don’t know where she obtained the money to pay the monthly bills – family? Church? I know we had food from the bishop’s storehouse.

I do remember it being stressful for my mom and for us as children. There was a lot more crying and arguing a lot more clamoring for attention from the sole adult.

It was a miracle that brought my step-dad into our family. Mom and Dad told the story so sweetly. It was a dance that neither of them wanted to go to . My mother was persuaded by a friend. My dad - by the Spirit. They saw each other, they danced, and they eventually got married. Yes, there were a few dates in there. Yes, my step-dad met all four of us children. Yes, my step-dad had four other grown children from his first marriage. These boys never lived with us, all of them were old enough that the eldest was married the same week as my mother married Bruce Gilchrist.

I am sorry I know so little about it. Because it was a miracle, I know without a question that I would not be who I am without my step-dad. I can suppose having seen other single mother’s struggles that we would not have been able to stay in the home I grew up in . We would have challenged my mother incessantly. We would have had challenges throughout our schooling.

The three sons of Walter and Ivy Kramer went on missions. The oldest son, Mark, is a physicist at the Air Force Weapons Lab . I manage combustor technology at Pratt and Whitney. Richard has become a chief software developer nurse at a health care. Marsha is a judge. Richard and I are active in the church. Mark and Marsha are not.

I believe in results. And the results are my brothers and my sisters and our children. I can only be immensely grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment